Wednesday, November 05, 2008

last Sunday

Spent 1050/- rupees on 7 tickets for 'Fashion'.
20/- for parking.
Say a 50/- on petrol
300/- on popcorn and colas.
5/- odd rupees on Dispirin for everyone in the evening. Because all of us came back grumpy, with headaches. Having missed our afternoon siesta. Which the  scrumptious Parsi lunch at Dorabjees deserved much, much more than it did a dose of 'realistic cinema'.

It was just that it had been almost 3 weeks since we went to a theater.

Dhanno, who's 15 and could be 18, has been walking into adult films with us occasionally, when Teja and I deem fit to ignore the censors. OK, I don't see how 'Music and Lyrics' with Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant rates an 'A' certificate, and 'Tashan' or 'Neil & Nikki' rates a U/A. So, I'd rather trust our own judgment.

But the Pune multiplex was packed with kids. Golu, who's 11 and could be 8 walked in easily, as did a lot of other boys his age. And of course, he was bored silly.

Later, he said: "If it (i.e. the film) was a man, I would have kicked it hard."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, darling, good to see your post after this long break.
who is 11 and could be 8? very funny, but please explain. My kid is 8, going on 3, I sometimes feel. How does one generalize / estimate an age?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes no access to a Hindi movie theater can be a blessing :-)

parotechnics said...

well sounds like Golu and I are to two minds with but a single thought. Does that make me 39 going on 11?

ajnabi said...

Later, he said: "If it (i.e. the film) was a man, I would have kicked it hard."

That? Might just be the best movie review *ever*.

Banno said...

Grasshopper, Golu is my nephew. Who knows what age is? I am 43, going on 8 sometimes, and sometimes going on 65.

Memsaab, absolutely right. Better to choose DVDs. But going to the theater is a physical longing for me.

Paro, oh yes. So you saw it too?

Ajnabi, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be very good.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog ‘Banno, Dhanno and Teja’ took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,

Toonfactory said...

LOl.....I am planning to avoid Fashion like I did wid most of Mr.Bhandarkar's 'Ohhh So REalistic Films'...I think he is over hyped thanks to some wanna be intellectuals...How U doin???

Banno said...

Ray, thanks, I am registered with rambhai, and do post my links there regularly.

Toonfactory, it was a desperate act going to see 'Fashion'. Am fine, hope you are too.

Toonfactory said...

Hey thanks for the visit to my blog....and I got what U meant by -I did read one of your Pixar posts, and thought the 2nd one was still the 1st one. Lolz..But reads like'em keep me going when m losing focus or....need some motivation...

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

U/A for Tashan and "NN" and A for Music and Lyrics??????????

I cannot get over this- sersiously- what is the Censor Board smoking? :O

Shweta Mehrotra Gahlawat said...

oh and I too have a major crib about Indian theatres: the sound systems are killing (prob causing ur headaches?)- and why does the sound jack up even higher during songs? I dont get it...:)

Banno said...

Shweta, Censor Board may be smoking 'money'. Who knows the power of YRF? Oh yes, the sound. And the A/C. Everything is on HIGH. Value for money, it is called.

banno at wordpress

I'm moving to wordpress. I'll miss blogger, especially the fab blogroll feature. But my blog has been virtually impossible to open o...