Wednesday, July 04, 2007

monsoon fare

One of the important tasks I have each morning is to check out the Mumbai Times for the films we could possibly see that day. If at all we have to inveigle Teja into taking us to the mall which is not the nearest to us, but the one that Dhanno and I will deign to go to, because of its rating in terms of smell, sound, light, crowd, shops, food places, then we have to make sure there is a Hollywood offering.

Yesterday, when the Rain Goddess stopped dancing the tandav, and was only humming to herself for a bit, I found not one but two films we could see one after the other. If Teja sees the possibility of saving a car trip, he can be tempted to make one.

'Ocean's 13' is the perfect monsoon film. Crisp, hot, and with the tasty zing that food with no nutrition and lots of empty calories has. And if you have George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon to look at, it's hot green chutney thrown in for good measure. The plot is laid out right from the beginning, you are told at each step what the con is, and how it is going to be executed, so you can concentrate on just having fun, and not wasting energy trying to figure out the details. What I also liked are the inane conversations between George Clooney and Brad Pitt, which have nothing at all to do with the plot. I believe strongly in inane conversations in a film, though they are actually very difficult to put into the narrative.

Then, Dhanno and I had a frenzied bout of shopping for "costemics" (Teja's word), in the break, before we went off for a round of hardcore action in 'Die Hard 4.0'. Couldn't help but think of Sunny Deol, as Bruce Willis refused to be stopped by fighter planes, collapsing bridges, gas explosions in a power plant, and all kinds of other mayhem, in his mission to save America.

4 comments:

Beth Loves Bollywood said...

I hope Sunny Deol does come to save America - somebody needs to! Then he and I can do his stomping dance from Jeet in celebration.

Space Bar said...

ah, here it is! wondered why it hadn't turned up but some snafu must have been...

did you get my mail end last month?

Banno said...

Wouldn't that be a great story, Beth, Sunny Deol in America.

Space Bar, what do you mean turned up, your comment? Yes, I did get your mail wishing me, did I not reply. If so, sorry, I've just been a bit fogged out.

Space Bar said...

not my comment - your post. this one. i saw it on my bloglines but didn't see it here when i came to comment, so wondered what happened. then it turned up after a while...some glitch.

no prob about not replying, ya. hope you had a nice day.

banno at wordpress

I'm moving to wordpress. I'll miss blogger, especially the fab blogroll feature. But my blog has been virtually impossible to open o...